Follow These Summer Energy Conservation Tips For Savings
Beat summer heat and high energy bills, with these free conservation tips. This season, keep cool while you save energy. Follow these tips:
- Keep your drapes, blinds and shades closed during the day to block out sunlight.
- Move furniture away from air conditioning vents to allow better airflow throughout your home.
- Plant shade trees due west of west windows. Shade trees could reduce your air conditioning bills by up to a quarter.
- Cook outdoors on the grill to keep cooking heat outside the home.
- When cooking inside your home, use a microwave instead of a conventional oven. Microwave ovens use less than half the power, create less heat, and cook food in about one-fourth the time.
- Install reflective window coatings to reflect heat away from your home.
- Cool your home with ceiling fans, which are cheaper to operate than air conditioners. Moving air feels cooler, so you can set your thermostat higher.
- Open windows on cool summer days and nights to let fresh air in.